Disclaimer: Although REACH(c) is not officially affiliated with My Brother's Keeper Alliance, we strongly encourage all concerned educators and community-based organizations to learn more about President Obama's initiative and national call-to-action. This page is dedicated to informing the public of this work and changing the narrative from "I" to "we."
SUPPORTING OUR YOUTH...THE REACH(C) WAY
10 SCHOOLS...200 YOUNG MEN OF COLOR
REACH(c) youth mentoring youth (YMY) seminar shorts
What is a YMY Seminar Short? A seminar short is an online seminar intended to allow for expanded participation by allowing educators and students to engage in subject matters with experts in the field, without requiring the added expense of traveling. Schools in the REACH(c) YMY program participate in three seminar shorts. Our first seminar short was held on December 6, 2017 at 2pm with the inspirational author and actor, Hill Harper. Announcing our participating schools:
- Urban Scholars Community School, Bronx, NY
- KAPPA IV Middle School, Harlem, NY
- KAPPA International High School, Bronx, NY
- A. B. Davis Middle School, Mt. Vernon, NY
- Ida B. Posner Elementary School, Brooklyn, NY
- Mother Hale Elementary School, Bronx, NY
- Hamilton Elementary School, Mt. Vernon, NY
- School 82, Buffalo, NY
- Institute for Health Professions at Cambria Heights, Queens, NY
- TBA, Yonkers, NY
Learn more about the program, curriculum, and thoughts about the first session with Hill Harper.
Hill Harper focused on the following points:
- His experiences with speaking with thousands of young men of color and the lessons learned;
- The true story behind MBK and how it can manifest in any school community;
- The air up there – What are the true perceptions of young men of color in the entertainment world (the place that so many of the young men aspire to enter); and
- Hill knows his family’s history and has a connection, mentally and physically, to his ancestry. What advice has he given to young men of color who do have that level of connection to their families and only connect their value to their current situation, which may be in a deep level of struggle and survival?
MBk implicit bias training @ 2018 wsr conference
REACH(C) has added a 2-day Implicit Bias Training to the 2018 Whole School Reform Conference. This conference is scheduled during the 2018 President's Week to minimize the need for school coverage and maximize the number of school/district participation. Register today to learn from your colleagues and to create an effective plan to address your school community's needs.
My brother's keeper alliance
President Obama established My Brother’s Keeper (MBK) in February 2014 to address persistent opportunity gaps facing boys and young men of color and to ensure all youth can reach their full potential. The MBK Alliance was launched as an independent, nonpartisan 501(c)(3) entity in 2015 to scale and sustain this critical mission. (https://www.mbkalliance.org/about-us/)